Seoul prepares for first major military parade in ten years
简介For the first time in a decade, Seoul citizens will witness a large-scale military parade, with tank ...
For the first time in a decade, Seoul citizens will witness a large-scale military parade, with tanks and armed forces marching across the city center Tuesday amid escalating tensions with North Korea.
Major thoroughfares will be closed throughout the day for the event celebrating the 75th anniversary of the Korean Armed Forces' founding, the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency announced on Sept. 20.
The march will commence at the Seoul Air Base at 1:30 p.m. following a memorial ceremony. From there, a force of approximately 3,700 infantry troops and 170 heavy artillery units, including K2 tanks, will split into two routes before converging for a parade in downtown Seoul.
Infantry units will enter the city center through the city’s eastern outskirts on buses, leading to partial traffic restrictions from approximately 1:40 p.m. to 2:50 p.m. stretching from Dongbu expressway to Gangbyeon expressway.
Meanwhile, tanks and armored vehicles are expected to cut through Seoul's southern outskirts, moving through Bangbae-dong and Dongjak-dong before crossing the Hangang Bridge to reach downtown Seoul. Traffic along this route will be restricted in both directions, from 1:30 p.m. to 3:23 p.m.
A joint march will take place in downtown Seoul from 4 p.m, covering a 1.5-kilometer stretch from Namdaemun to Gwanghwamun. Roads between these two landmarks will remain closed from 2 p.m. until 6 p.m.
While some streets are expected to reopen by 4:40 p.m., others could be closed until the next morning, according to the police.
Given that the parade is taking place in the run-up to the Chuseok holiday period, drivers are advised to detour or use public transport to avoid congestion. The city plans to deploy 1,000 police officers to manage traffic and increase the frequency of subway trains to accommodate commuters.
Historically, Seoul had conducted military parades every five years since 1998. However, in an effort to thaw relations with North Korea, the liberal Moon Jae-in administration scaled down the 2018 parade to an air show.
This year's display, featuring 6,700 service members, will showcase South Korea’s advanced domestic weaponry, including KF-21 fighter jets, Light Armed Helicopters, and long-range surface-to-air missiles, a move widely seen as a show-of-force against North Korea's continued provocations.
구병삼 통일부 대변인이 8일 오전 서울 종로구 정부서울청사에서 열린 정례브리핑에서 취재진 질문에 답하고 있다. 연합뉴스통일부가 8일 북한이 2016년 2월 전면 폐쇄된 개성공단 내 ...
More than 1,800 breaches of the country’s Youth Protection Act were found during a nationwide govern ...
As the only high school pitcher on the South Korean Asian Games baseball team, teen prospect Jang Hy ...
- Seoul to implement alert system to manage overcrowded areas
- Posco Future M achieves 100% recycling of refractory waste
- Pyongyang denies allegations of Hamas using North Korean weapons
- [이번 주 리뷰] 중동 전쟁 우려…국민의힘 보선 참패(9~14일)
- 'Scent of Ink' to be performed at Kennedy Center in Washington
- Key ruling party officials offer to resign over by
- [New on scene] Hong Xa
- [KH Explains] Amazon's cloud industry plans raise fears of Korean market monopoly
- Enhypen announces Nov. 17 comeback with 'Orange Blood'
- Foreigners turn net sellers of S. Korean stocks for 15 sessions
- HIT forum on space to be held in Seoul
- 사전투표 D
- [Today’s K
- DB Robotics invents nation's first hybrid electric rollator
- 33년 경찰 경력 내세워…“안심구청장 누구입니까”
- Posco Holdings recoups investment in Roy Hill after 13 years
- [Test Drive] BMW 5 Series makes more powerful, elegant comeback
- [Herald Review] Ive gives a sneak peek of new album, kicks off first world tour with Seoul gigs
- Samsung, LG, Hyundai closely monitoring potential biz fallout from Israel
- [Photo News] AI, conventional painting come together
- Jungkook becomes first Korean soloist to log 2 songs in Top 5 of Billboard's Hot 100
- Uncertainties remain for Samsung, SK after US eases export controls
- Daegu’s iconic opera festival set to attract operagoers with five tragic operas
- Shinhan to bet big on insurance tech startup
- Cheongju Craft Biennale stresses connection with nature, Jikji legacy
- [Herald Interview] Singer
- Seoul shares end lower amid conflict in Middle East
- Hyundai Motor chairman marks 3rd year of record earnings
- Taemin of SHINee to drop new EP 'Guilty' on Oct. 30