[Korea Beyond Korea] From history and K
简介LOS ANGELES -- A Volvo Trucks commercial featuring actor Jean-Claude Van Damme doing the splits, str ...
LOS ANGELES -- A Volvo Trucks commercial featuring actor Jean-Claude Van Damme doing the splits, stretching his legs between two reversing trucks with Enya’s “Only Time” playing in the background, is shown to a classroom full of nearly 100 undergraduates at UCLA.
Professor Ju Hui Judy Han asks the students what are the first words that come to their minds as they watch the clip. Some say “masculinity” while others mention “physical ability,” “control,” “power” and “engineering perfection.”
After the Gender Studies 102 class on power, professor Han shared with The Korea Herald that later in the course, which focuses on feminist theories on power and mobility, she plans to lecture on women taken as sex slaves by Imperial Japan, the decriminalization of abortion in South Korea, the history of the adoption of Korean children, Korean women’s participation in protests and LGBTQ+ activism in Korea.
“I consider myself a Korean studies scholar,” she said at her office on the UCLA campus, explaining her teaching approach that combines Korean and global topics within a broader perspective.
Rich program, but few job opportunities
While Korean language, literature, culture, civilization, history, philosophy and religion are taught by faculty of the Department of Asian Languages and Cultures at UCLA, professors of other academic disciplines such as gender studies, theater, film and television, anthropology, Asian American studies and ethnomusicology also offer courses on Korea or share examples and stories from Korea in class.
Among US universities, UCLA has the largest faculty teaching Korean studies -- 11 core faculty, four affiliated faculty and five Korean language lecturers -- according to professor Namhee Lee, the director of the UCLA Center for Korean Studies who teaches modern Korean history.
“It is the only university in the US that has courses on premodern history and literature, as well as modern literature and history,” she explained.
Samsung Group Chairman Lee Jae-yong and SK Group Chairman Chey Tae-won are set to travel to the Neth ...
Following the rain that fell across the country on Monday, temperatures are expected to drop signifi ...
South Korea is issuing an additional 12,900 E-9 visas for nonskilled foreign workers, the Ministry o ...
- Citibank named top international bank of 2023 in Korea
- Cold weather arrives after nationwide rain
- Man arrested for assaulting woman for having short hair
- Hyundai to develop own cheaper batteries for EVs
- In revote, National Assembly strikes down controversial media bills
- Fugitive caught 3 days after escape from hospital
Central Asia, S. Korea pledge to strengthen youth cooperation
LG Electronics opens Alaskan lab to develop HVAC tech in extreme weather
W10m reward offered for information leading to fugitive on the run for third day
US trade body finds no patent breaches by Samsung over digital signage: sources
Enhypen's new album to be led by 'Sweet Venom'
- 2023 Melon Music Awards to take place Dec. 2
- Seoul shares open sharply lower on US losses
- [KH Explains] Why Starbucks' new coupon policy is a big deal in Korea
- S. Korea's Navy holds regular multinational mine warfare drills
- 김기현 “지역·계층·세대별 민심 여과없이 대통령에 직접 전달”
- 尹 "참모들 앉아있지 말고 현장 가라…나도 민생 더 파고들 것"
- Mirae Asset Securities to buy back shares worth W60b
- Cha Medical to hold global forum on next
- [Herald Interview] Park Youn
- 'Teenage Mercenary’ leads Korean webtoon sensation in Japan
- Jungkook on top: BTS singer racks up more landmark feats with 'Golden'
- Stock market soars as short selling ban takes effect
- 'Oh, Jejudo' by Hyun Ki
- Samsung family to sell stakes worth W2.6tr to pay tax
- BAT design chief stresses responsible design
- SK Ecoplant to supply advanced fuel cells to Irish data center
- W10m reward offered for information leading to fugitive on the run for third day
- Yoon vows to move up completion of GTX commuter rail networks
- Election calculus dominates debate on Seoul expansion plan
- Two Koreas race to launch first homegrown military spy satellites
- Without light, Lightwalk will not be architecture: Dominique Perrault
- [Bills in Focus] Broader offshore financial support, mobility regulatory sandbox
- Coupang opens 2nd fullfillment center in Taiwan
- Pianist Chung Kyu
- From horror to romance, November is new battlefield for local films
- Visa applications open for additional 12,900 foreign workers
- [Hello Indonesia] Korea, Indonesia to bolster ties on future growth drivers
- NewJeans, Heartsteel to open 2023 LoL World Championship Finals
- Daewoong aims to reshape obesity market with patch
- Cold weather arrives after nationwide rain