SK chief calls on board members to help CEOs make balanced decisions
简介SK Group Chairman Chey Tae-won called on the board of directors to review the decision-making proces ...
SK Group Chairman Chey Tae-won called on the board of directors to review the decision-making process of South Korea's second-largest business conglomerate’s overall management activities and actively provide feedback to help CEOs make optimal and balanced decisions, the group said Wednesday.
“By making efforts to promote communication with executives and employees, the board of directors will be able to resolve (the group) affiliates’ problems and inconveniences, while promoting development efficiently,” Chey said in his speech at the SK Directors' Summit 2023, in Seoul on Tuesday.
The SK chairman came up with the idea as he presented his opinion on the role and direction of the SK board of directors, upon his participation in a panel discussion with 14 key affiliate companies’ outside directors at the summit on the day under the theme of the “Future of Governance Story.”
In line with Chey’s desire for fundamental innovation in governance structure, SK introduced its corporate management strategy, called “Governance Story,” in 2021 to build transparent corporate governance based on responsible management led by the board of directors.
Upon the discussion, SK’s outside directors decided to strengthen their systems in which the audit committee under the board of directors directly supervises the group’s internal audit organization to handle management risks in advance and retroactively.
They also agreed to establish a decision-making system that allows board members and SK workers to make specific decisions on investment and management in accordance with policies and regulations set by the board.
To make sure the board functions properly as the highest decision-making body, outside directors decided to enhance their insight into new businesses and strengthen their capabilities for ex-ante audits to minimize possible risks beforehand.
The outside directors reached the deal to expand stakeholder-centric management by actively communicating with stakeholders and investors as they talked about specific measures to enhance shareholder value through board-centered management.
Additionally, the directors examined the global market outlook for SK’s key businesses from electric vehicle batteries to artificial intelligence, and talked about the board’s role regarding business strategy and investment, as well as the direction of board composition for SK’s growth.
SK has been holding the Directors' Summit as a key meeting body since last year. This year’s summit was the second of its kind with the theme of “'Insight for SK's growth.”
The group said it has included the Directors’ Summit in its major annual strategic meeting from this year, alongside an expanded management gathering, a forum in Icheon, Gyeonggi Province, and its CEO seminar.
SK’s outside directors will gather each year at the summit to discuss group management and the agenda centering on governance.
“We ask outside directors to not only supervise and check management, but also understand major group businesses from a larger perspective and actively express opinions to help management,” SK Group Executive Vice Chairman Chey Jae-won said in his opening speech at Tuesday’s meeting.
South Korea's culture minister plans to meet Vatican officials in Italy this week to discuss bi ...
South Korea's ambassador to the United States on Tuesday called the apparent strengthening of c ...
The National Assembly on Friday passed a bill allowing women to give birth anonymously at hospitals ...
- [Hello Indonesia] Indonesian developer aims to build self
- 尹대통령, 이동관 방통위원장 사의 수용했다…"면직안 재가"
- 홍준표 "엑스포 박빙 보고…尹 파리 출장가게 한 참모들 징계해야"
- Ateez closes 1st chapter of career with 'The World Ep. Fin: Will’
- CHA to expand assistance for buried cultural heritage excavation
- 'Sweet Home 2' returns with new characters, sophisticated monsters
- 홍준표 "엑스포 박빙 보고…尹 파리 출장가게 한 참모들 징계해야"
- Industrial output, retail sales, investment all fall in Oct.: data
- Celltrion's Zymfentra to make US debut in February
- Festivals to illuminate Seoul’s winter nights
- Day laborers, low
- Kolmar BNH to ramp up production with new plant
- US deploys fighter jets in S. Korea for air exercise in Singapore
- About half of top 500 firms remain undecided on 2024 investment plans: poll
- Seoul City to operate autonomous night bus
- Yoon’s chief economist tapped as finance minister
- Yoon replaces 6 ministers ahead of his 3rd year, general election
- '이상민 탈당' 때린 민주 의원들 "국회의장 하려 동지 팔아"
- North Korea threatens consequences after South Korea launches 1st spy satellite
- Rival parties call for measures after China halts urea exports
- Ocean specialist tapped as maritime affairs minister
- Bomb scare hits Hongdae station, police search turns up empty
- [Today’s K
- [Herald Review] Munich Philharmonic sets milestones with Lim Yun
- Korean War veteran’s daughter named veterans affairs minister
- Justice and finance at the climate summit
- [Hello Indonesia] Green growth cements Korea
- 이재명 "여·야·정 정책협의체 제안…간병비 급여화 서둘러야"
- Fractional art market opens up to lure new investors
- [Korea Beyond Korea] Chae Man