Unification ministry urges NK to immediately send detained S. Koreans back home
简介The unification ministry on Sunday urged North Korea to immediately send a South Korean pastor and f ...
The unification ministry on Sunday urged North Korea to immediately send a South Korean pastor and five other nationals back home, condemning their yearslong detention as "illegal and inhumane."
The ministry made the appeal in a statement marking 10 years after South Korean pastor Kim Jung-wook was arrested in Pyongyang in 2013 and then sentenced to hard labor for life on charges of spying for South Korea's spy agency.
In 2014, two other South Korean missionaries, Kim Kuk-gi and Choe Chun-gil, were also detained in the North on charges of committing what the North's regime called anti-North Korea crimes. Three former North Korean defectors, who had obtained South Korean citizenship, were detained in 2016.
"The government condemns North Korea's illegal and inhumane measure and strongly calls on North Korea, a signatory to the International Covenants on Human Rights, to immediately send them back to their beloved family members," Koo Byoung-sam, spokesperson at the ministry, said in the statement.
He said the government will work closely with the religious community and civic groups to find out the whereabouts of the detainees and win their repatriation, and cooperate with the international community to help resolve the issue.
"If North Korea has any understanding about human rights, it should not avoid the basic human rights issue any longer," Koo said.
President Yoon Suk Yeol has taken a hard-line stance against the North's provocative acts and has stressed the need to make the international community aware of North Korea's human rights abuses.
Last month, the ministry set up a task force to handle South Korean detainees, abductees and prisoners of war in North Korea. (Yonhap)
Hyundai Motor Co., South Korea's top carmaker, and its sister company, Kia Corp., are set to po ...
Arsonist onboardOn Feb. 18, 2003, Daegu metro train no. 1079 pulled into Songhyeon Station at around ...
The nuclear-powered USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier will arrive at a key South Korean naval base ...
Man fined W2m for throwing his dog from second floor
[Korean History] In 2003's Daegu, disaster plays out underground
S. Korea keeping close tabs on reported repatriation of N.K. defectors from China: minister
Appeals court upholds 40
In revote, National Assembly strikes down controversial media bills
민주당 개표 초반부터 환호성…김태우 캠프엔 적막 가득했다
- Arrest warrant issued for ex
- Unauthorized AI
- Over 84% of cattle got vaccines against lumpy skin disease
- 尹대통령 지지율 1%p 오른 34%…국민의힘 34% 민주당 33% [갤럽]
- RCO to come to Seoul with maestro Fabio Luisi and pianist Yefim Bronfman
- Following an Israeli airstrike, crowded Gaza hospital struggles to treat wounded children
- Seoul shares up for 3rd session on Fed's rate freeze
- Japan returns favor again by flying 15 Korean nationals out of Israel
- 5 S. Koreans from Gaza arrived in Egypt via Rafah border: ministry
- Yoon says fake news threatens freedom, elections at AI Safety Summit
- Yoon replaces 6 ministers ahead of his 3rd year, general election
- AmCham seminar explores health care as bigger part of Korea
- Buddhists, political leaders bid farewell to late Ven. Jaseung
- Former ambassador to Vietnam tapped SMEs minister
- '이상민 탈당' 때린 민주 의원들 "국회의장 하려 동지 팔아"
- Schools brace for impact of record
- S. Korea, Canada sign MOU on climate change cooperation
- [Korea Beyond Korea] Korean Studies gaining traction at Complutense University of Madrid
- Kolmar BNH to ramp up production with new plant
- Province office raided in probe into wife of opposition leader
- [Korea Beyond Korea] Chae Man
- Bomb scare hits Hongdae station, police search turns up empty
- Seoul shares end higher on Fed's rate cut hopes
- [Herald Interview] Yi Yi Jeong
- Yoon’s chief economist tapped as finance minister
- 폰에 '파이팅' 문자 있는 여성 끌려갔다…北, 청년에 이런 단속
- 이재명 "여·야·정 정책협의체 제안…간병비 급여화 서둘러야"
- 홍준표 "혁신위 해체위기, 이준석은 앞길 막아…용산 어쩌나"
- Itzy to drop new album, go on second world tour
- KB unveils video to mark World Soil Day